Waste is a major concern for everyone in the food industry, especially with pre-packaged, ready to eat, fresh meals that tend to have a rather short shelf life. As our market in Vancouver grows and more of our healthy meals are being produced weekly, we have been working on safely extending the shelf life of our products so that our partners can order larger quantities of food that will have a larger time margin to be safely purchased.
To solve this problem we are now working with HPP West Coast to make our meals stay fresh and safe for longer.
High Pressure Processing (HPP) is a technique in which products that are already sealed are subject to a high level of pressure transmitted by water. This pressure at cold temperatures (4C-10°C) inactivates any bacteria, virus, mold, parasites, and yeast that is present in the food. This extends shelf life significantly while guaranteeing consumer safety.
Some of our products (including juices, treats, and entrees) are processed through HPP as the final stage of the production process. HPP has a large spectrum of advantages that led us to choose this process to upscale the quality and safety of our products.
We are thrilled to provide our partners with products that have a higher margin of time to sell so that they can maximize their profit and minimize waste with our wellness solutions.
- Fresh for longer: It can extend shelf life by up to ten times longer than traditional preservation methods, and it does so without the use of chemicals or additives.
- Maintains food taste and nutritional quality: Because products are not exposed to heat or chemical additives, there is no change in taste, texture, or nutritional profile, so there is no sacrificing quality for shelf life.
- Destroys pathogens: It is effective at destroying pathogens like Salmonella, Listeria, Vibrio, and Norovirus.
- Supports clean label and low sodium foods: Because of the lack of additives or need for preservatives, HPP is great for maintaining clean label products clean.
- No heat: Products that can’t be thermally processed can be high pressure processed, which opens the possibility for a great range of products to have an extended shelf life.
- Reduces food waste: It allows for an increased distribution range and fewer returns or removal of foods nearing expiration dates.
- Environmentally friendly
- USDA and FDA approved
Keep a look out for our same healthy UpMeals and learn more about our packaging.